Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Storybook Favorites


The first storybook that really caught my eye was Monster Hunter. What really pulled me in to even start reading it was the title. The title makes it sound like its full of scary stories that are full of action. Which is my kind of story. I really enjoyed the background image on the storybook of a dark room with a fireplace flickering in the background. It really helped pull the scary theme together. I also really enjoyed the introduction and each story alike. I liked the idea of an old man telling the stories as if he were an old war veteran telling war stories.

The next storybook I was fond of pulled me in for another reason. This storybook is called A Grim Look at Grimm Tales. Of course I would have interest in this since my last name is Grim.  I like that they went with classic tales written by the Grimm brothers. I also really enjoyed the set up of the storybook, as it was set up to be like a television talk show. I also thought it was very creative to have Rapunzel and her friends watching this show, and during commercial breaks you could read commentary from Rapunzel and crew.

The last storybook that I am going to talk about is one called Louisiana Animal Folk Tales. I really liked the host of this storybook, Henry the Alligator.  In the introduction he talks about how we should be scared of him since he is an alligator, and I found that very entertaining.  Henry goes on telling us about different tales of animals and their adventures. The introduction does a great job of giving you a preview of the different stories, as well as setting a scene in 
 which the stories will be told. I also enjoyed the Mardi Gras theme of the entire storybook.

Werewolf. Web Source: Werewolf

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that most of your story tales picks are on the more darker side of the folklore range. I think many of them are more interesting and have a larger meaning that some of the traditional fairytales or folktales. I think it's really cool that in the Louisiana Folk Tale is was Mardi Gras theme, which really creates a perfect setting. I also chose the Grimm Brothers as one of my chosen topics. I think their tales are fascinating and unlike anything else that was written during that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is cool that you found a storybook with your last name in it. I also enjoyed that is was set up like a television talk show. This makes it where things can be changed at any time of the story. I bet that Louisiana Animal Folk Tales has some great stories in it. My grandma lives in Louisiana, so this one caught my attention as well. Great job on finding such great storybooks.

    ReplyDelete