Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Iliad - Reading Diary A


How the War with Troy Began: Helen married a man named Menelaus. Her father made the other princes in town promise that if someone were to ever take her away that they would then help go save her. Of course she then got taken away. This story was kind of a setup for the rest of the stories I believe, so it wasn’t that interesting to me. I do look forward to the next stories though.

The Quarrel: To me this seemed like a quarrel between Helen’s Husband, and Agamemnon, which is his brother. I had a lot of trouble following this story, mainly because of the way it was written. I believe this quarrel will soon lead to something bigger though, and will find out very soon.

What Thetis Did for her Son: Thetis went and found Zeus in Olympus. She came to ask him a favor, that her son Achilles will have honor. Zeus says he will grant her wish. Zeus’s wife gets pissed cause she knows Thetis was there. I really like Zeus in the story because he does his best to be a great leader, even when everyone is against him.

Patroclus, mosaic detail, photo by D. & M. Hill
Hector and Andromache: Hector came back from battle and everyone was curious why. He requested something of Queen Hecuba to gather all of the mothers of the city. I really like Hector in this story. He is my favorite character. He is a very humble and noble person, as well as warrior.

The Embassy to Achilles:  Achilles is probably my favorite character in all of these stories. He is very likeable to me at least and I enjoy a lot of his commentary. Again I had some trouble following this story, probably due to the nature it was written in.

The Deeds and Death of Patroclus: Patroclus is a shady character in my opinion. I don’t think he is a very nice guy and I don’t like what he does. Again I did like Achilles in this story and thought he always did the noble thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment