Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Commenting Review Week


Commenting is probably my least favorite part of this class. I say that, but receiving comments has been very helpful to me. It helps me be able to know what parts of my writing that people enjoy, and what parts of my writing I need to work on. Overall I like it because I know that other people are enjoying my works of art. I also like that I get to read what other people have been writing about in class.

I need to work on my commenting also. I have trouble telling people that they need to work on certain parts of their writing. I am too nice and just want to leave comments about what they did write. If I learn to leave more comments that contain constructive criticism, then I believe next semester will be much better.  
A funny picture of an OCD cat. Web source: Flickr

3 comments:

  1. Commenting can seem tedious, but it definitely does have its merits. I know it can be difficult to comment because you don't want to come off mean or critical, but like you said, those things can really help the writer. I like to try to focus on grammar, flow, and wording. Does the statement make sense? Does the piece have many errors? Did I enjoy it? Does it need to be arranged or broken up differently? These sort of questions seem to help me, maybe they will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven- I have to agree with you. I think that the project (I do not mind the blog) commenting is my least favorite part of the class as well. It is really hard to point out the bad in people’s writing and find things to constructively criticize. I do enjoy the feedback on my work though so I suppose it is a necessary evil :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Steven! I can totally relate – I enjoy getting comments but struggle with writing them for others sometimes. I also don’t usually check comments unless there’s an assignment to do so. I’m sure if we both continue practicing, we’ll get better. Another person brought up a good point – it’s hard to write comments in a way that sound uplifting; after all, we don’t want them to be interpreted in a rude way. I think this class has gotten everyone better at that.

    ReplyDelete